Monday, September 08, 2008

A Nicaraguan Day

Hello all! I'm hailing you today from muggy Managua, Nicaragua. I got here last night with 3 checked bags (non of which had my stuff in them) that I flew down here for some friends. One of the perks of flying cheap is you get to be a long-distance sherpa!

Our friends are down here starting up a home for the street boys who are addicted to sniffing glue. Not the easiest group of kids to get cleaned up. For example, two of the boys who are still out on the street got into a fight today and one of them was stabbed. Another one looks like he's going back to jail because he didn't stay in the house like the judge told him to.

Right now three boys are willingly staying in the home and I marvel at the changes that have happened in the last 3 years. The hubby and I were here 3 summers ago and hung out with many of the same boys. At that point they had no hope past the glue under their noses. Now they have 3 square meals, a roof, the beginnings of some education and the love of some gringos. I know it's discouraging for my friends here to see how slowly things are progressing, but I'm still blown away by the addition of life back into their eyes. It's hard to see the big picture when you see the daily grind (kind of like being a mom).

Anyhoo, that's just a quick update from the low lands. Later skaters!

No comments: