Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Me & Anthony Bourdain




Of all the places I've been (Nicaragua, Turkey, Thailand, China), China is the ONLY place I've been where the food has always agreed with me. I think the fact that our friends are always looking out for superb places for their own meals may be a part of that.

The title mentioning Bourdain is a funny concidence. I happened to see the end of an episode of "No Reservations" last week where he was in an Asian country, eating meats and veggies out of a boiling pot of spicy and mild liquids. He also mentioned this peppercorn type thing in the dish that would turn your mouth numb. Lo and behold, a place called Hot Pot here serves just such a thing. Me being the high junkie that I am tried said ill-advised peppercorn. It was...interesting...in a numbing way that I'll never try again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the mushrooms here are so tasty and so varied. The mushroom in America is boring and looked down upon and here it's often a prominent ingredient.

The foods we dumped into the hot pot pictured above were mushrooms, broccoli, quail eggs and rolls of beef. I'm not sure greedily licking your chopsticks is kosher here, but it's nigh on impossible for me not to!

1 comment:

Melissa Markham said...

It sounds as though you are having a lovely time. Those hot peppers are definitely something to be tried ONCE!